In France, La Galette Des Rois or the royal cake is traditionally eaten every year on January 6th. It is a delicious puff pastry dessert filled with flavored almond paste. Find out how to make it at home in our recipe.
Ingredients for a cake for 10 people:
450 grams of ready-made puff pastry (divided into two pieces)
For the filling:
100 grams of almond flour
100 grams of sugar a
pinch of salt
peel of half an unsprayed orange
100 grams of butter at room temperature
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of rum
1/8 teaspoon of almond extract
For the glaze:
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon milk
1. In a blender, mix almond flour, sugar, salt, and orange peel. Then add the softened butter and mix until you get a smooth mixture.
2. Add eggs, rum, and almond extract to the mixture. Cover the mixture and place it in the refrigerator.
3. On a lightly floured surface and roll out the puff pastry into two circles about 25 inches in diameter. A cake pan will help, and you can also use a lid from a bowl.
Place each piece of puff pastry on baking paper and return to the refrigerator for half an hour.
When working with purchased puff pastry from the freezer, it is important to be quick so that it does not start to melt and make your job more difficult. Keep one piece in the refrigerator while rolling out the other piece.
4. Spread the filling over the middle of the puff pastry, place the almond in the desired part of the cake, and fold it over with another piece of puff pastry.
It is important to leave about three inches of free space on the edge of the cake without the filling, and glue the edges well with water so that the cream does not leak out of the cake during baking.
5. Return the cake prepared in this way to the refrigerator for half an hour.
6. Coat the cake with a mixture of egg yolk and milk and press the edges of the cake with a fork. Make a few holes in the top of the cake so that steam can come out of the cake during baking.
7. Place the cake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 30 minutes, until the puff pastry darkens on top and along the edges. Serve warm. Good appetite!
Warn your family members in advance that almonds are hidden in the cake, so let them eat carefully. Also, prepare a surprise gift for the person who finds that nut in the royal cake.