The Pentagon said Thursday that the Afghan Taliban are failing to honor commitments they made in last year’s deal with Washington, which calls for a complete withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan by next May.
“Without fulfilling their commitments to renounce terrorism and stop the violent attacks against the Afghan national security forces, and consequently the Afghan people, it is very difficult to find a specific path for a negotiated settlement,” the porter said. – Pentagon speaking John Kirby at a press conference.
“But we are still committed” to this goal, he said.
Mr. Kirby, however, noted that his country had made no decision on its future military presence in Afghanistan, adding that the 2,500 US troops currently stationed in the country were sufficient for counterterrorism missions.
The United States and the Taliban signed an agreement at the end of February 2020, which provides for a complete withdrawal of American forces from Afghanistan by May 2021 if the Taliban fulfills the conditions of the agreement, including severing ties with the groups. terrorists.
In a telephone interview last Friday with his Afghan counterpart Hamdullah Mohib, National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said Washington would assess “whether the Taliban are honoring their commitments to cut ties with terrorist groups, to reduce violence in Afghanistan and to conduct meaningful negotiations with the Afghan government and other stakeholders “.
The war in Afghanistan, which killed some 2,400 US military personnel, is the longest in US history. Former President Donald Trump accelerated the country’s withdrawal in the final months of his tenure, although some of his key aides suggested a more cautious approach.